Thursday, March 13, 2014

Adelia Faith

For those of you who have asked, here is a little more about how we decided on Adelia’s name.  I started writing her birth story as well but the post seemed too long.  I’ll post it next for those who are interested.

Adelia Faith was the first name that Chad and I ever decided on.  It was a name that Chad had always liked, and I loved it upon hearing it. Adelia has a couple different meanings depending on where you look but when we think about it, we think of the Adelia flower. Chad enjoys referring to her as his “little flower”.  Faith is my grandma’s first name and I have always wanted to name one of my girls after her.

My grandma Faith has always been a special person in my life.  While I grew up on the opposite coast as her, I have very fond memories of her visits: walking to our neighborhood 7-Eleven for slurpies, spending time at the beach with our cousins, and playing a full game of monopoly (she was just about the only person I could get to play all the way with me).  I did have the blessing of living in the same state with her for a little bit when she moved to California but that was short lived as I headed to the East Coast after getting married. 

My grandma has always been a wonderful encourager.  I used to (and still do) love writing my grandma as a little girl and couldn’t wait to receive a letter back.  She always seems to have a way with words.  Recently, she lost her last living sibling.  My mom passed along a wonderful tribute my grandma had written about him and given him several years ago.  It brings me to tears thinking how sweet it is that she didn’t wait till after he had gone to write this, and that her brother was blessed enough to read it.  How I wish that I would learn to take more time to let those around me know how blessed I am by them.

One of my favorite things about her is she embraces life as it comes.  Growing old can be a difficult thing but she has done it with so much grace.  After living in Pennsylvania for most of her life, she moved to the west coast at over 80 years of age.  She quickly got involved in the local senior center, made quite a few friends, and took up the Ukulele.  She got involved in some different aerobic classes and has stayed active as much a she can.  I pray that our little Adelia will inherit some of these wonderful attributes from her great grandma and I am excited that she will soon be able to meet her name sake.  As we have already learned in how Adelia entered our world, so much of life is out of our control.  What we can control is our perspective and learning to take life one day at a time living in the grace of God.


And that brings us to our prayer for miss Adelia Faith: that she will learn to grow and blossom into the woman God has made her, that she will learn to live in His grace, taking each moment as it comes, and learning to be an encourager to all she comes into contact with.

No comments:

Post a Comment